CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 21, 2008

Quite a feat for our feet

Saturday was the St. George Painter's 1/2 Marathon, the race we have been training for for the past 10 weeks. We had a great time on our trip to St. George. Matt's parents met us there to watch the kids while we ran. Our friends Cameron and Mandy Balls trained and raced with us so that was most of the fun of it. I wanted to finish by 2 hours and since we had trained at a 9 minute pace that would have been about right. Mandy and I finished together at 1:50:58, an average of 8:30/mile. Matt and Cameron were just in front of us. We were all very proud of ourselves and it was an awesome experience. It was definitely the hardest thing I've ever done (other than deliver Riley). Right after the race when my body was in shock and totally exhausted my thoughts were that I would never do it again, but even then I knew that as soon as I felt better I would change my mind. And I have... and I'd love to do it again. It was great to do something just for myself at a time in my life when all I seem to do is take care of kids and clean a house. It was also great to challenge myself and find out that I can do something that I've never done before, better than I thought I could do it. This is Mandy (in blue) and me (in green) just before the finish line. And if you think I look like I was about to die, it's because I was.

After 3 cups of Gatorade we were feeling a little better.

Grandma brought pom poms and these things to yell through for the kids! They were so cute and excited for us!


Grandma and Poppy and the kids.

It was freezing out there.If any of you have ever thought about running a race like this you should do it. We're planning on doing half marathons again so if anyone wants to join us we'd love to meet you for the next one! We're even thinking about running the Arizona Road Racers half Marathon in Surprise next week, but we'll see!

Hardest parts: lots of hills, cold weather, and eating too many cliff bars before the race.
Best parts: getting to a mile marker before you thought you should have, running with Mandy, and not walking any of it even when I wanted to die.
Happiest moment: thinking I had another quarter of a mile back to the Dixie Center and realizing I was at the finish line!



11 comments:

Mauri said...

Way to go guys!! I run my first 1/2 on Feb 9th and I am a little nervous. I am glad to see it all went well!

The Wilkes said...

Good job. I'll enjoy your pictures while I sit on my bum in my nice warm house! :)

sainsburys said...

You guys ROCK!!!I'm so proud of you guys. I know all of the hard work and dedication you guys put into training. Em, you look great for just running a 13 miles. I look like that after 20minutes on the treadmill. I love the picture of all of you after the gatorade. That was so nice of Barry and Kathy to help out. The kids look so cute and excited. Maybe one day we will close enough to do it together.

Dana Broderick said...

you are my inspiration! lol! way to go! nice to have Mandy to chat with on the way (it's nice to have someone to keep you going). I really am so impressed about your 8 1/2 min miles!!! great training!

Erika said...

Congrats, I love the pics! What an amazing thing to do! And that's so great about doing under 2 hours!!

The Moyers said...

WOW! I'm so impressed. You guys are amazing! I hope to be able to do that someday! I hope that you enjoy doing another one in warmer weather.

The Moyers said...

WOW! I'm so impressed. You guys are amazing! I hope to be able to do that someday! I hope that you enjoy doing another one in warmer weather.

The Yates Clan said...

Way to guys! Kim and I have been trying to get in shape for some races as well. Hopefully we can have as much as you did.

Anonymous said...

WOW, That is GREAT TIME! Congratulations. Take care, Tammi

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!! You make your old Auntie so proud!! I am just winded looking at the pictures. Your go you two!! I can't wait to see more pics. I will get a blog going soona and will check yours more often I need to give you a call so we can catch up!! Love Aunt Laurie Ruth

Mama Apes... said...

You guys are so amazing! I would have to say that you guys are the super mom's for the year! 4 kids, 1/2 marathon wow i would love to do one next year sometime! HOw often do you guys run? and where? April